Equipped with powerful amplifiers and three external antennas, the Nighthawk R7000 extends Wi-Fi coverage throughout your location. In addition, Beamforming+ focuses the signal to Wi-Fi devices, sending coverage exactly where you need it.
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 specifications
- Dimensions: 11.2 x 7.3 x 2 inches
- Weight: 1.65 pounds
- Dual Band Wi-Fi: 600+1300 Mbps speed
- Memory: 128MB flash & 256MB RAM
NETGEAR R7000 performance features
- 1 GHz dual-core processor
- Beamforming+ for improved range
- Airtime fairness (prevents network lag if slower devices connect)
- Dynamic Quality of Service (QoS)
NETGEAR R7000 additional features
- Push ‘N’ Connect Wi-Fi
- NETGEAR genie remote access
- ReadyShare Vault automatic backup software
- Built-in iTunes server
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 router connectivity
- 5 10/100/1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet ports (1 WAN & 4 LAN)
- 2 USB ports (1 USB 3.0 & 1 USB 2.0)
- ReadyCLOUD USB (access your USB disk from anywhere)
- OpenVPN Connect
Frequently asked questions — functionality
Q: How does Dynamic QoS improve video streaming?
A: The NETGEAR Nighthawk smart router uses Dynamic QoS to reserve bandwidth so other devices on the network don’t slow your experience. Dynamic QoS works with YouTube and Netflix so you can stream high-definition video with limited buffering.
Q: How does NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD remote USB work?
A: The NETGEAR ReadyCLOUD USB service acts as built-in personal cloud storage for your network. Once you’ve set up a ReadyCLOUD account, just plug in your USB hard drive to the router to enjoy the same convenience of a Google Drive or Dropbox digital storage solution — without the fees or storage limitations. Download the ReadyCLOUD app or access the web portal to enjoy anywhere, anytime access to your on-premise USB drive.
Q: What is NETGEAR genie?
A: NETGEAR genie is an app you can download to act as a dashboard to monitor, control and repair your network connection. You can access the NETGEAR genie web portal by going to http://www.routerlogin.net. There, you can configure Dynamic QoS rules, change your router’s network name and password, and more.
Q: How do I play music files from Nighthawk USB with iTunes server?
A: The Nighthawk iTunes server lets you play music files on AirPlay or Apple Remote connected devices using the router’s USB drive. To enable the iTunes server:
- Connect to the Wi-Fi network on your iPhone or iPad.
- Launch Remote App.
- Click on Add an iTunes Library. A passcode will display.
- Launch an internet browser on a device that’s connect to your router network.
- Go to http://www.routerlogin.net
- Enter the username and password for your router. (Default username: admin. Default password: password)
- Select Advanced > USB Storage > Media Server
- Enter the passcode displayed on your iPhone or iPad and click Allow Control. (*Do not uncheck any of the boxes.)
- Click Apply.
Frequently asked questions — compatibility
Q: Do I need an internet provider to make this router work? Will this router work with any internet provider?
A: Yes, you need an internet provider to access the internet with this router. The NETGEAR Nighthawk will work with any internet provider.
Q: Is the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 also a modem?
A: No, the NETGEAR Nighthawk is just a router, not a modem. You’ll need to use a modem in combination with this router to get your network up and running. It will work with nearly any modem. For top performance, we recommend a DOCSIS 3.1 modem such as the NETGEAR CM1000 Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem.
Q: Is the NETGEAR R7000 router compatible with Amazon Alexa voice recognition software?
A: Yes, the NETGEAR R7000 smart router works with Amazon Echo devices. Use any of the following Alexa commands for NETGEAR to give voice commands to your router:
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to enable the guest network.
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to disable the guest network.
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to reboot my router.
- Alexa, ask NETGEAR to send me my Wi-Fi settings.
Q: Does the NETGEAR Nighthawk router work with the Circle with Disney app?
A: Yes. Circle with Disney is included with each NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 router, without the need for an external Circle device. Circle parental controls work directly through your NETGEAR wireless router to allow you to monitor screen time for every device on your Wi-Fi network. Circle Basic is free and lets you set content filters, view browser history and pause internet access for all connected devices. Circle Premium is $4.99 per month and allows you to view usage statistics for each device, enforce time limits and set automatic off-time internet restrictions. Just download the Circle app to get started.
Frequently asked questions — troubleshooting
Q: How do I reset my NETGEAR Nighthawk router to factory defaults?
A: If you’re having trouble with your wireless network, a factory reset might solve the problem. Keep in mind this will erase any personalized configurations, including username and password, security settings and network name (SSID). Follow these steps to reset your router:
- Make sure your router is plugged in and has power.
- Find the Reset button on the back of the router (small hole beneath the USB port).
- Using a paperclip or similar object, press and hold the Reset button for about seven seconds.
- Release the button and wait for your router to reboot.
- The power light will stop blinking when the reset is complete.
Q: Where is the network name and password for NETGEAR R7000 router?
A: There should be a barcode sticker on the bottom of the router. The first two barcodes have the network name and password printed below them. Use the network name to identify your network and the password to connect to it.
Q: How do I change the password and network name for my NETGEAR router?
A: You can change the network name and Wi-Fi password for your router by following these steps:
- Launch an internet browser and go to http://www.routerlogin.net.
- Enter the router username and password when prompted. (Default username: admin. Default password: password)
- Click OK.
- Select Wireless.
- Enter your new username in the Name (SSID) field.
- Enter your new password in the Password (Network Key) fields.
- Click Apply.
Q: Why is the LAN port light on my NETGEAR R7000 router orange?
A: If your connected device is only capable of 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN connection, the LAN port light will be orange. This indicates the device is connected at a slower speed than what the router is capable of. If your device has a Gigabit Ethernet port, the LAN port light will be white.
Is the NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 wireless router right for you?
Get details about pricing and buying options on insight.com.